Welcome to the first blog post on my new site. I've had the domain MarcusMcConnell.com for a long time but I mostly used it as a place holder to link to my other sites. So why have I decided to put up a full blog site instead of a landing page? I've decided that it's time to share some of the work I've been doing and I'm less than thrilled with Twitter, Facebook and the other social media sites. I wanted a place where I had full control over the presentation of my content without some marketing focused algorithm deciding who might be deemed worthy of my content.
The other significant reason for putting up the blog is to share and document my work on side projects like the game screenshot above. This is the first public screenshot of the (very much work in progress) game I've been building. I'll be sharing more soon and I wanted a place where I could look back over time and see the progress.
The game is inspired by the strategy and transportation games I grew up with like Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon (ChrisSawyerGames.com), Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, and open source reimagining projects like OpenTTD. I'm not sure what form the final game will take but I did start out with some specific objectives:
- Build a tile-based transportation game - I want tiles, not a mushy ground mesh with random spline tracks
- Make if 3D - I want the ability to view the world from any direction.
- 4K resolution - I want the game to run 60fps+ at 3840x2160 resolution
- C# where possible - C++ is the game language of choice but I'm tired of headers and manual memory management
- Make it fun - I want to recapture that feeling of being absorbed into the game world and escaping for a little while